|by PANORAMA reporter
Fishermen and boat owners from Algeciras say they will not accept the Memorandum of Understanding entered into by their La Linea colleages, in the meeting held on Tuesday at no.6 Convent Place.
One of them, Pedro Maza, said it would be madness to do so. He wants the agreement to be scrapped and calls for a return to the 1999 agreement, which Gibraltar government has rejected on the grounds of it being illegal.
It will be recalled that the memorandum invited the Algeciras fishermen and boat owners to partake of the deal.
But instead of taking part in the hope of finding a definitive solution to the problem, the news from Algeciras late yesterday was that the Algeciras ishing vessels will continue fishing and using their current fishing methods, calling the Guardia Civil as required.
It will be recalled that the Spanish government representative from the Spanish fisheries ministy told the fishermen that they should carry on fishing in their usual places and in their usual ways.
Representatives of the Algeciras and La Linea fishing fleets were due to meet late yesterday to formally consider the agreement, but against the background that their leading representatives had adopted a negative position earlier in the day.
It was feared that if the boats return to fishing in waters near Gibraltar they could be arrested by the Gibraltar police.
What do YOU think?
Have your say in Facebook