MISS GIBRALTAR IS MISS WORLD
Kaiane makes the Rock proud
by PANORAMA reporter
Crowned Miss World on Saturday, Kaiane Aldorino was asked:How do you feel being Miss World?
"I have no words," she replied.'Tm really happy."
And there was no need to say anything - her radiant Gibraltarian smile said everything.
Here was the first Gibraltarian to win the Miss World contest - and Gibraltar went wild with joy.
Everyone was overwhelmed, many with tears in their eyes. It was incredible.
Her family had been watching the contest and her grandmother said: Never in a million years did we think this would happen in Gibraltar.
It was indeed difficult to imagine that a Miss Gibraltar had finally reached the pinnacle of success, after all those years going for the ever illusive crown.
When she won the 'beach beauty' round, Kaiane automatically won a place in the final 20 contestants of the Miss World pageant held on Saturday in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Never before had a contestant from Gibraltar reached the final 20 stage of a Miss World contest.
And when she reached the Final Seven, that was amazing in itself. That was enough for Kaiane for make Gibraltar proud.
The Final Seven were Colombia, Panama, Canada, Mexico, Gibraltar, South Africa and France.
And the Top Three were announced in reverse order: No.3 was Miss South Africa. Then Mexico secured the No.2 spot. Who would be No.1I?
Julia Morley, the Miss World chairperson, said: And Miss World is Miss Gibraltar!
What a thrill!
A big achievement for me and my country
• Speaking before the event, she said:
"Doing well would mean a lot to me as not everyone has the opportunity to experience Miss World and doing well would be a big achievement for me and my country. I am sure Gibraltar would be very proud."
Down to earth and unassuming
This is Kaiane Aldorino, the new Miss World:
• STAR SIGN: Cancer ?OCCUPATION: HR Clerk ?COLOUR OF HAIR: Brown ?COLOUR OF EYES: Brown ?HOBBIES & INTERESTS: Dancing, travelling and spending spare time with my loved ones.
• AMBITION (ACADEMIC/ PROFESSIONAL): To further my career and be successful in life.
• YOUR IDEA OF A PERFECT DAY: Enjoying a sunny day outdoors with family and friends.
• WHAT DO YOU MOST LIKE ABOUT GIBRALTAR: Its safe environment and spectacular views.
• WHAT DO YOU LEAST LIKE ABOUT GIBRALTAR-: The lack of affordable housing and traffic.